Monday, October 18, 2010

Where The Wild Things Are

"Photograph your experience of what you see, rather than what you see." 

I definitely spend a good amount of time thinking about how sweet the life of a child is. Unfortunately, it is not until many years after it has passed do you truly realize how great it is. But if you can't relive it, you may as well dream about it. When I close my eyes and imagine the perfect childhood moment, I picture myself running wild and free, lost in time, lost in space, somewhere in a never ending forest, with trees the size of skyscrapers, each one perfectly made for climbing, where the only breathing thing around me are creatures. I could get lost in that space for hours and hours, still to this day. 

As I sit here and write this post, I realize I am all bundled up in the best corner of the couch, cuddled under a big comfy blanket typing so close to my computer because I'm freezing, and all I can think is how much I feel like Bastian from the 1984 movie The NeverEnding Story (childhood classic I highly recommend if you have not seen) when he is up in his attic under his blanket about to dive into a wondrous fantasy world through the pages of a mysterious book. That feeling, at that exact moment, when fantasy and reality collide, that is the exact feeling I get when opening up my blog, when I have ideas pouring out of my ears, that if I don't write these ideas down they'll disappear forever. And at that exact moment, I know I have just created something unique, something unlike anything else in the world. 

I guess I really do love childhood. I seem to somehow always incorporate it back into my life. The meaning of innocence, not caring what is going to happen ten minutes from right now, having complete freedom without even knowing, simply getting to enjoy every second of every day by doing whatever silly thought enters into your mind. 

It is so important to LIve to be Silly. And of course, to know when not to be.

These pictures below were inspired from a simple car ride. I never seemed to notice before how beautiful and extravagant trees really are, in their biggest and most vibrant forms. When I started snapping these photos, I automatically thought of the recently re-made movie of one of my favorite childhood books, Where The Wild Things Are, bringing me to the Title of this album...












3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite posts so far. I see "monsters" hiding in every picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOOOVE this post and HEART these pictures especially the first one which is a huge throw back to my love of the secret garden!! I also love how all of your posts remind me a little bit of myself!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreeeee a hundred percent!!!! Always say how amazing it would be to be a kid again. And what fun would life be without being silly sometimes.

    ReplyDelete